Sunday 24 May 2015

RNA Summer party 2015

Last week I blogged regards how lucky I am to have such supportive writing lovelies from the RNA. Well, this week I was lucky enough to be granted time from the ‘day-job’ to attend the RNA Summer party. This was only my second attendance at the London events as they occur on school nights but I had a great time, it’s definitely worth the arduous next day on the Friday.

My first stop was attending 'Happy Hour' on the top floor of Waterstones Piccadilly accompanied by Bella Osborne and John Jackson where the classic mojitos flowed to a second round, forcing us to ‘totter’ to the RNA party a fraction later than usual. Good timing, I called it.
The summer party is the annual stage for announcing the lucky recipient of the Joan Hessayon award – an author chosen from those recently promoted from the New Writers’ Scheme to published author status. It was a delight to watch as Brigid Coady and 14 other authors, including my fellow Birmingham Chapter lovely Janice Preston, await the announcement. Brigid had been a member of the New Writers’ Scheme for ten years – so has waited long enough for the publication dream to arrive and to receive such an accolade.

As always, I was delighted to attend an RNA event as the chatter and warmth flows much like the wine - free and easy. You stand surrounded by such wonderful people who share your passion of books and writing – it really is an experience to attend.  Any RNA member who hasn’t hiked up to Euston on the train then dashed across to Green Park really needs too. And don’t worry if you’re travelling alone – you won’t be on the return journey! It’s guaranteed that as soon as you arrive through the great doors of the Royal Overseas League – you’ll need to catch your breath as a member drags you across to join a suitable group of excitable author lovelies. Seriously, prove me wrong by standing alone all night and I’ll buy you a bottle champagne!
 
Bella Osborne and I testing the mojitos - photo courtesy of John Jackson
 
For further details about the fabulous Romantic Novelists' Association please visit the link.

No comments: