Wednesday 21 August 2013

Road Trips, Inspiration and Wanna Be A Writer?


Morning folks, I’ve had a busy ten days out and about on my holidays, so my blogs have gone awry. Between the writing routine, we, hubby and I, have managed to do several day trips to Dovedale and Llandudno, I’ve come home from each with my mind brimming with ideas and inspiration. Thankfully this happens to me all the time, which enables me to bank lots of ideas for future use. The art is to capture the details in a notebook within a day or so. Since beginning my writing journey I’ve gained inspiration from numerous sources: graveyards, family occasions, locations, history, landscapes, overheard conversations, observed situations, personal situations, portraits, poems, newspaper articles, sporting events, photographs, annual events, historical celebrations, t.v. programmes, careers and daily routines. Almost everything has the ability to inspire my imagination – which goes some way to explaining why I’ve never experienced writers’ block!
Last Saturday saw a chapter meeting for the Birmingham section of the RNA – twelve writers enjoyed a wonderful three hours discussing our work over lunch. I finally got to chat with Alison Maynard and Cal Andrews, who hadn’t attended for a little while – lovely to meet you ladies. It was great to hear about the progress of each others current projects and to catch up on their RNA NWS feedback – all seem happy.

Twitter has taught me so much in recent months, but this week it provided a link to a Youtube clip of a soon to be t.v. programme called ‘Wanna be a writer?’ fronted by Jane Wenham-Jones. Jane is following the experience of six aspiring writers on their journey to being published. The pilot episode can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kJWTbsjbR4

And finally, I have submitted a couple of short stories and a poem to various competitions in recent weeks due to a group pledge made with Morton Gray and Janice Preston at the RNA conference. Fingers crossed ladies.

Remember you can follow me on Twitter (@odwyer_author) or Facebook (odwyer author) Enjoy!  

No comments: